Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Why Most Twitter Users Give Up

This post began in a group I am part of on LinkedIn, MB CIO. The person posting fully agreed with this article and below is my response to them.

I am still twittering and with great success. What defines my success, who I follow and who follows me. I typically follow a select handful of reporters who I have worked with and I like their approach to a tech/mgmt story. I also follow analysts, those 3rd party non practicing IT folks who charge a great deal to hear their word, it is free on twitter. Finally the last group I follow are other CIO, IT Leaders to hear what they are saying and sharing.

Twitter is about "what are you doing" type of messages, some of what I post at times, it is also about referencing back to other sources of information. That information can be the draw to get Twitter users to go to a web site, important if part of your business strategy is using the web as a viable vehicle to interact with your clients or potential clients.

To date I have 110 followers, not all are real people as far as I know, as the use of add me type bots do exist, but at least 2/3 of them are real people who choose to follow my comments and references. Some of my most recent followers are other CIO's, a group I look forward to further exchange in my extended network.

For me Twitter is still a work in progress, which is why I have a few social media guru's I follow, so I get the best mind think in advance before the main stream catches up. I can already see how our business team can use it to create opportunity to sell services by providing knowledge to it's followers, by creating opportunity/alternate service channels.

In the end our clients will define our corporate success which I firmly believe will be using some forms of social media, will that be twitter specifically? Don't know but I don't want to wait until it's too late to catch this wave as it will be our clients I am not listening to, and that we can't afford.

Thanks for listening . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter